Your Contribution Toward a Better Future

Let us help you tailor your charitable gift to your financial, tax or estate planning objectives.
Learn More

Planned Giving

Text Resize
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Monday December 6, 2021

Washington News

Washington Hotline

How to Recover from Unemployment Compensation Fraud

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, millions of Americans were unemployed during 2020 and 2021. Most of these individuals qualified for unemployment compensation benefits. However, criminals also benefited by targeting these individuals for identity theft. The U.S. Department of Labor Inspector General estimates that criminals captured $89 billion of unemployment compensation through fraud and identity theft during 2020.

IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig stated, "Identity thieves always look for opportunities, and the unemployment surge presented a new opportunity to exploit the pain and financial hardships faced by Americans. This particular scam is especially egregious because 23 million Americans were jobless or underemployed last year, and desperately needed these benefits."

Unemployment compensation is taxable income. However, Congress passed an exclusion for up to $10,200 in unemployment compensation for the 2020 tax year in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. To qualify for the exclusion, taxpayers in all filing statuses must have less than $150,000 of adjusted gross income (AGI). Tax advisors and victims of unemployment compensation fraud should take multiple steps to correct the fraudulent activity.
  1. Identity Theft Affidavit — If a victim has filed a tax return and it is rejected because his or her Social Security number has been previously used, the tax preparer should file IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.
  2. State Agencies — The unemployment compensation fraud should be reported to state workforce agencies. The victim can request a corrected Form 1099–G from those state agencies.
  3. Income Tax Return — Tax returns should only report actual income received. Even if the IRS Form 1099–G with the correct information has not yet been received, report only the wages and income received.
  4. Identity Protection PIN — If your personal information was used for criminal actions such as filing a fraudulent tax return, you should go to the "Get an Identity Protection PIN" page on and request an Identity Protection PIN. This will enable the IRS to know you are the correct person when you file your tax return.
  5. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) — The FTC has information available that enables you to protect your credit through specific actions. This is available on
Unemployment fraud affects a variety of victims. Some taxpayers have been victimized by criminals filing unemployment compensation claims in multiple states. An individual who receives Form 1099–G from multiple states should retain records of the fraud reports made to each state.

Editor's Note: Commissioner Rettig is correct that this is a particularly outrageous form of identity theft. Many of the victims desperately needed to receive their unemployment tax benefits. By following the guidelines and reporting this fraud to the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor and the Federal Trade Commission, the advisor can enable a victim to recover his or her status and qualify again for federal benefits.

Published August 6, 2021
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Previous Articles

Taxpayers Receive Unemployment Compensation Refunds

2.2 Million Economic Impact Payments

Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Sent to 35 Million Families

July IRS Events Promote Advance Child Tax Credit Payments

Leave Donations Extended for 2021


Charitable Remainder Unitrust

You may be concerned about the high cost of capital gains tax with the sale of an appreciated asset. Perhaps you recently sold property and are looking for a way to save on taxes this year and plan for retirement. A charitable remainder unitrust might offer the solutions you need!
Learn More »

Donor Advised Funds

Are you looking for a way to give and serve better? Would you like to simplify your annual and lifetime charitable giving? A donor advised fund (or DAF) might be a great solution for you.
Learn More »

Sale and Unitrust

You give a portion of your property to us to fund a charitable remainder trust, when the property sells you receive cash and income for life.
Learn More »

Let us help you with your gift plans.